The LPA-1 is a state-of-the-art Lead Paint Analyzer using X-Ray Florescence
(XRF) and K-Shell technologies, providing readings in as little as 2-4 seconds. It is widely considered the fastest, most reliable lead inspection system today.
- Non-destructive testing for lead on painted surfaces.
- Fast, efficient and easy to use testing device. Completes readings in 2-4 seconds.
- No preparation needed. Simply test on the surfaces in question: doors, window casings, walls, floors, moldings etc.
Renovation, Repair & Painting with LPA-1
40 CFR 745.80 Subpart E pertains to work practices that disturb lead based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care facilities and schools. Federal laws encompass renovation of more that 6 square feet of painted interior surfaces, 20 square feet of exterior painted surfaces, window replacement or demolition in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978. There are three acceptable testing techniques available; white glove test to the EPA card, basic wet chemistry test kit and handheld XRF instruments.
Lead Paint Analyzers – XRF Lead paint Spectrum Analyzers – XRF Lead Paint Instruments – XRF Paint Inspection – LPA-1 – LPA-1
Precision of Results
Wood, Drywall ±0.05 mg/cm2
Concrete, Metal ±0.10 mg/cm2
Accuracy of Results
Wood, Drywall ±0.05 mg/cm2
Concrete, Metal ±0.10 mg/cm2
|Substrate Effect||Automatic Substrate Correction (Spectrum Analysis)|
|Detection Technique||X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF), K-Shell Analysis|
|Testing Modes||Quick Mode, Standard Mode, Time Corrected Mode|
|Weight||3lbs (including 1lb battery pack)|
|Data Transfer||RS 232 Serial Interface/USB|
|Data Storage||4000 Data Points|
|Measurement Area||1.5″ x 1.25″|
|Depth of Penetration||No Object Interference Beyond 3/8” (including lead pipes, etc.)|
|System battery life||8 hours of normal usage|
|X-Ray Source||Cobalt-57 (max 12mCi, 444MBq)|
RADIATION SAFETY FEATURES
|Key Lock||The shutter will not open and trigger will not engage when the key lock is activated. Manual Shutter Lock The shutter will not open when the manual shutter lock is activated|
|Automatic Shutter Lock||The shutter automatically closes after every test is complete Optical Sensors Optical sensors ensure the bezel of the instrument is flat against the surface before the shutter can be opened.|
The LPA-1 utilizes a state-of-the-art “room temperature” detector that operates in a thermal range between 20-120° F. Device is ready when activated; no warm-up/cool-down time required.
Report Generation Software
The LPA-1 analyzer and its comprehensive, universally applicable lead paint Report Generation Software (RGS) allow the inspector to go from inspection to report in a very short period of time. The software is included in the LPA-1 instrument package and upgrades are free for as long as you own the instrument.
Report Generation Software Features:
- Windows™ based package.
- HUD/EPA compliant Reports.
- Easy-to-use “point and click” graphics.
- Easy to read inspection reports.
- Portable Data Recorder -Palm top PDA adaptability for field data collection.
- Ability to identify and create any component and condition, which is suited to the specific inspection condition without limitation.
- Customizes to any residential or commercial space and any component within that space with full general or reading specific comments.
- Creates reports in ASCII format for integration with the most common spreadsheets and word processor programs.
- Ability to incorporate digital pictures of the inspection site into the reports.
The Report Generation Software provides a variety of reporting options for presentation of lead paint inspection results. The graphic depicts the standard reports available.
A significant feature of the RGS is the automatic preparation of a Summary Report, which identifies all measurements equal to or greater than the local regulatory action level. This gives inspectors and their customers a clear and immediate understanding of areas that may require action. In addition, the HUD reporting requirements involving inspection combination and component statistics are fully integrated with the LPA-1 analyzer RGS program.
- Cover Sheet: The Job Cover Sheet allows the inspector to enter specific information about the inspection site and the customer. While most of the items on the sheet are entered by the inspector, the Action Level, the Report Job Number and, the Serial Number of the analyzer are taken automatically from the data downloaded from the LPA-1.
- Sequential Report: This report lists all the readings, which have been processed in exactly the order in which they were taken in the field. The Sequential Report, as well as the Summary and Detailed Reports discussed below, contains all of the location and paint condition information that has been entered.
- Detailed Report: In this report the readings are recorded and segregated first by room number and then by type of structure.
- Summary Report: Only positive readings or averaged sets, which have a lead value equal to or greater than the preset abatement level are shown (i.e., the actionable items).
- Distribution Report: This report provides a summarized listing of all structures analyzed in a particular job. It details the total number of readings taken on structure types and breaks out the percentage of Negative and Positive readings from the total.
- The Report Generation Software, as well as every other Dynasil product, is backed by the highest level of support, with on-call help and free upgrades of the latest software release. No other system provides the flexibility, speed, and the level of productivity that customers have come to expect from Dynasil.
The Portable Data Recorder (PDR) System
A lightweight palm-top computer system for field data collection and reporting.
Our Portable Data Recorder (PDR) is a low cost, lightweight data acquisition platform for lead paint inspection. PDR is a MicrosoftTM based palm top computer. It allows the inspector to efficiently identify and record inspection parameters without limitations.
PDR interfaces with RMD’s Report Generation Software (RGS), streamlining data entry and allowing the inspector to produce instant inspection reports.
THE PDR SYSTEM FEATURES:
|Universality||No Limitations in identifying the inspection environment and related components.|
|Customization||Ability to adopt fixed or variable formats based on inspection requirements.|
|Ease of Use||Lightweight, touch screen, pull-down menus, full color display.|
|Report Review||Real time review of inspection components.|
|Upgrade Capability||Compatible with most LPA-1 Systems.|
|Other Features||Auto Save, Easy Data Merge, Multi-function Use, Instant Report Generation, Compatible with Access and Excel, as well as other popular database software.|
Report Generation Software (RGS)
2 Rechargeable Batteries
1 Battery Charger
2 Surface Stabilizers
1.0 mg/cm2 Calibration Block
Download Cable (Serial/USB)
Portable Data Recorder, Connection Bracket & Cable, Standard PDA Accessories & PDR Synch Software
Please contact us for further assistance or purchasing information.
44 Hunt Street
Watertown, MA 02472
Customer Service / Technical Support:
For sales, please contact: NDISales@DynasilProducts.com
For product support, please contact: NDISupport@DynasilProducts.com
Find a Representative: Click here
What is Lead Paint Detection?
Simply put, Lead Paint Detection is the science of non-destructively measuring the amount of lead, if any, on painted surfaces. Because lead exposure is not readily visible to the common eye, the effects of lead poisoning have become a point of concern. The resulting studies have been well documented by government agencies, which have heightened regulations and increased public awareness regarding the use of and exposure to products that contain lead. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has worked with the lead inspection community to create technology capable of providing non-destructive testing on questionable sites/sources with accurate results.
The LPXpro™ is our fast, accurate and easy-to-use solution, using integrated X-Ray Fluorescence technology (XRF) for detecting lead in painted surfaces. This point-and-shoot- technology optimizes productivity, reduces downtime and enhances effectiveness. The LPXpro™ is a complete system with easy to use software for standard or custom reports.
How Does XRF Technology Work?
The LPXpro™ uses a Cobalt-57 radioactive source which locates lead atoms in painted surfaces. A lead atom has a distinctive energy signature that the XRF analyzer measures the concentration which is displayed in milligrams per squared centimeters. According to government regulations, greater than 1.0 mg/cm2 indicates a dangerous level of lead.
How long is the half-life for Co57 and when do I resource the instrument?
The half-life for Cobalt-57 is approximately 9 months. The source will decay at the same rate whether the instrument is used once or a million times. It’s not necessary, however, to change the source after one half-life. The source in the LPXpro™ can be used well beyond 9 months. In fact, when checking the instrument’s calibration, Time Corrected Mode will automatically adjust the reading time for the age of the source.
How much radiation is an operator exposed to by the LPX-Pro-1?
The LPXpro™ contains a maximum of 12mCi of Cobalt-57 radioactive material, sealed and housed in a tungsten shield inside the instrument. The source can only be exposed when the system is in contact with a surface. The radiation dose rate in the operator’s hand is approximately 0.3 mRem/hr with the shutter open or closed. This is substantially below the permissible dose rate. The LPXpro™ successfully passed the Device Safety Evaluation Review and is a nationally registered device.
Has the LPXpro™ been issued a Performance Characteristic Sheet (PCS)?
The LPXpro™ has begun the process of obtaining a Performance Characteristic Sheet (PCS), but has not yet received one from HUD. The LPXpro™ may not be used for lead-based paint inspections in the U.S. until a PCS has been issued by HUD.
What is required before Dynasil Products can deliver my LPXpro™?
In order for us to deliver any LPXpro™ device, the following 3 items must be completed:
- The user must receive a license or registration from the local state agency (see LPXpro™ Specification & Licensing Requirements for instructions). A copy of the license or registration may be mailed or emailed to us prior to shipping.
- The user must complete a factory authorized training course. The training, which is provided by an authorized representative of our company, can be completed in one day and is included in the purchase price.
- Payment must be arranged and confirmed. Accepted methods include a certified bank check, a signed and approved lease agreement, or an institution or government purchase order.
How do I complete the required Training for LPXpro™?
Contact Dynasil Products for a schedule of upcoming training classes, or your local Representative to check their availability to conduct a class on your behalf.
Can I finance my LPXpro™ instrument? If so, how?
For those who wish to finance their purchase, Dynasil Products works through several leasing companies to allow customers to spread out payment in convenient monthly installments. Contact Dynasil Products for a list of lease-to-own companies.
Will the software run on my computer?
The Report Generation Software (RGS) is compatible with all Windows Operating systems.